Sunday, January 11, 2015

Poem

Hawk Roosting


I sit in the top of the wood, my eyes closed. 
Inaction, no falsifying dream 
Between my hooked head and hooked feet: 
Or in sleep rehearse perfect kills and eat. 

The convenience of the high trees!
 The air's buoyancy and the sun's ray 
Are of advantage to me; 
And the earth's face upward for my inspection. 

My feet are locked upon the rough bark. 
It took the whole of Creation 
To produce my foot, my each feather: 
Now I hold Creation in my foot 

Or fly up, and revolve it all slowly - 
I kill where I please because it is all mine. 
There is no sophistry in my body: 
My manners are tearing off heads - 

The allotment of death. 
For the one path of my flight is direct 
Through the bones of the living. 
No arguments assert my right: 

The sun is behind me. 
Nothing has changed since I began. 
My eye has permitted no change. 
I am going to keep things like this. 

- Ted Hughes

2 comments:

Steve Bodio said...

A favorite, along with "October Dawn", which has been in here before, and "Pike", which I used to teach.

Anonymous said...

That's a good one - it goes back aways - "Lupercal" - 1960 - thanks.

Jeffery